Summer 2023 Highway Repaving
The Idaho Transportation Department will repave several miles of highways in Boise during the summer of 2023.
Work will include portions of Broadway Avenue, Chinden Boulevard, Glenwood Street and the I-184 River Street exit.
ITD is replacing deteriorated pavement on several highways in Boise:
- Broadway Avenue (US-20) between I-84 and University Drive
- The River Street exit from the I-184 Connector
- Glenwood Street (SH-44) between Chinden Boulevard and State Street
- Chinden Boulevard (SH-44) between Cloverdale Road and Eagle Road
What to expect during construction
ITD will repave one highway at a time. Work on Broadway Avenue will begin first.
In most locations, crews will work overnight from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m. On Sundays, work will begin at 7 p.m. On Chinden Boulevard, nighttime hours will begin and end one hour earlier.
During these times:
- Lanes and speed limits will be reduced in the work zone.
- Flaggers will direct traffic at intersections.
- Business access will be open.
- Some work will be noisy.
- The Federal Way ramps will be closed for several nights in May.
- The River Street exit from the I-184 Connector will be closed for several nights later this summer.
The top layer of pavement will be milled off and replaced. The milled road surface will be bumpy until it is replaced. Please drive or cycle with caution.
Initial work area: Broadway Avenue
Construction on Broadway Avenue will begin May 21. Work hours will be from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m. On Sundays, work will begin at 7 p.m.
- Crews will start at I-84 and work their way north toward University Drive.
- The Federal Way ramps will be closed for several nights starting May 21.
- The majority of work on Broadway is expected to be completed in late June. Additional work will be necessary at the intersection of Broadway Avenue and Boise Avenue. This area was damaged by a water main failure in December.
- To reduce the risk of future pavement damage from watering, the City of Boise and ITD have decided to replace grassy areas in the median with rock. Existing trees will remain.
Future work areas
Work on Glenwood Street, Chinden Boulevard and the River Street exit will be scheduled later this summer.
For a map of the Chinden and Glenwood repaving areas, click here.
If you would like to receive updates via text or email, click here. Schedule updates will also be posted to this website.
Jump to the section that you are looking for by just clicking the link.
Visit ITD Website